WILDESHAUSEN

Text and Fotos by Leo Kurth - Translation: Eleonore Seehaus - Kolloge

Wildeshausen is too beautiful to pass it by". This is one of the first slogans to advertise our town. This is truly a fair discription. The author of this booklet, who had contact for many years with a large number of vacationers is made aware of that fact over + over again. Our guests are enthralled by this area - astonished about the beauty and the remarkable objects of interest all around, historical as well as timely.

To make people aware of the quality of this remarkable area the tourist bureau offers postcards - infocards - a simple idea. Under the photo of a card a discription is offered. The recipient gets a little piece of Wildeshausen offered in "picture an word", and, maybe, gets the idea to look for himself.

This little booklet is a catalogue of the info-cards, a little taste of what awaits a visitor in Wildeshausen.

Leo Kurth

As a native of Wildeshausen i translated the contents of this booklet with love an admiration for my hometown. A Wildeshauser always takes a little part of the town along, wherever they end up in the world. In my case USA - Pawling NY.

Eleonore (Kolloge) Seehaus

We start our tour at the Burgberg in the park


Wildeshausen`s history pulls us in right away.

1. At the end of 12. century a castle once stood at the Burgberg built by the "Graf von Oldenburg. It changed its appearance frequently. The river Hunte once consisted of several branches. One led close to the Burgberg. Two draw - bridges over the moat, which was fed by the river, secured the living + defense structures. In 1529 the city of Münster occupied the castle. They imprisoned the mayor and the counsilmen in the tower. The castle deterorated in the 17. century more + more. 1789 the last evidence, the tower, was broken up. The hill though stands till this day. After world war I a monument for the local war - dead was erected there. After world war II additional names were added. From the Burgberg a lovely sight consists of the "Kurpark" with a fountain - terrace and a concert shell. The vista reaches to the marshes.

2. The "Kurpark"


with fountain, concert-shell and "Kneippanlage"(=wading - pool) is like a special jewel in the Luftkurort (fresh air park) Wildeshausen. The view from the adjoining Burgberg is especially beautiful, it shows the complete combined "ensemble" near the hunte river. The river completes the overall picture with many colorful canoes + rowing boats.

During the summer month concerts take place every sunday morning at 11 AM. An imposing event is the tattoo on "Pfingst - Sonntag" at night, when the "Schützengilde" from 1403 presents a spectacular firework to open the traditional "Gildefest".

We go to the St. Peter - Church (St. Peter - Kirche). It is worth it to take a look at the newly restored building (inside).


 

St. Peter - Church


An ecumenical ceremony on Nov. 27. 1998 re-opened the St. Peter Church for divine services. From August 2. 1997 until then the catholic church enjoyed the facilities of the Alexander Church by invitation.

The church had to be closed because of structural problems. 16 month were needed for re-construction.

It is worth it to take a short look at St. Peter`s history: From 1699 on the Alexander Church was used for evangelic - lutheran services. During this year Sweden became the ruling faction. The same catholics bought a house with several additional buildings and out of a barn " a church like building" was developed. During 1700 to 1803 Hannover ruled, catholics werde not allowed to built a church, only 1810, when Oldenburg took over Wildeshausen the catholics were allowed freedom to follow their religion. They built their church, which opened ist doors on Nov. 24. 1811. The church had to be closed again due to structural mistakes, making it unsafe. In 1824 the current church was finally built, without a tower. The tower was erected in 1910. This short overview shows unmistakenly a long period of difficult    co - existence between the religions - also here in Wildeshausen.

As the ecumenical opening - ceremony of St. Peter proofs both communities in Wildeshausen have bridged their differences successfully. A promising sign of actual ecumenical unity and an encouragement to continue this successful relationship. "The times of division between the religious communities is, thank god, over now"      (R. Gryczan/H.Holtmann).


  1. Here near St. Peter at the "Lütge Ort" (little place) we notice an old pump next to a chestnut tree. These pumps were a typical part of the old farmer - community necessary for daily living.


  2. 4. The pumps


Besite the double - pump at the marketplace 18 additional pumps provided housholds with water. They were called a  pump-community . A pump community was responsible for the smooth functioning of their pump! Alternately one person from the pump - community was responsible for the smooth operation of the pump, he was called the "Pumpenmaster" with all the connected responsibilities. For instance during the wintermonth the pump had to be made "winter - safe" and the area around the pump had to be safe during icy street conditions. 1972 the citizens got interested in the "old pump-communities" + the old pumps were restored. For instance the pump - communities: Schwienemarkt, Bolzensack, Kattenbüddel, Alexanderbrunnen, and Kantorsbogen. The pumps add a lot to complete the appearance of the town, but at the same time the pump - communities find many reasons to have enjoyable ("feucht-fröhliche")meetings, spiced with a little libation, while talking over their responsibilities.

We follow the Burgstraße for about 150 meters and reach the

 marketplace


The middle of historic Wildeshausen is the marketplace with its characteristic configuration. The pointed gableseaves of the surrounding houses faced the street. On the remaining houses stone fassades have replaced the former wooden gables.The "Marktbrunnen"(fountain), build 1747 by master Theophil from Bremen, gives character to the marketplace.This fountain was used for drinking by men + animals alike, when they passed through Wildeshausen on the trade route. In historic pagan times an "Irmen -säule " stood here. After the town was "captured by Münster " in 1529 the mayor Jakob Lickenberg was executed here. A stone in the marketplace reminds of this tragedy. The 1990 newly erected new townhause, with "Glockenspiel" and moving figures, completes a united appearance once more.

In the Westerstraße we see a mighty bronze sculpture, often sourroundede by plying children. It is "our Waltbert", belonging next to Alexander and Wittekind to the "Wildeshausen troika".

6.Waltbert


In the "Westerstraße" we notice a mighty sculpture, Waltbert. The year 851 was in the history of Wildeshausen of great importance. Waltbert, a grandson of Widukind, brougt the relics of St. Alexander from Rome to Wildeshausen to further the christianity in the sparsely populated area. The skulpture shows Waltbert on his horse, in his hands the relic of St. Alexander. Then follows his name, the year 851 and the word "translatio". The "translatio Alexandri" once was described thoughly by the monks of Fulda. The sculpture by the Bremen-artist Efeu is the outstanding work of art within the Reorganization of our towns appearance.

Standing on the marketplace we must witness the Glockenspiel in the north gabel. Like every where in Wildeshausen it also points to the importance of th "Gilde from 1403".

7. Glockenspiel with moving figures


 The front of the new townhouse - 1990 - displays a Glockenspiel with moving figures. It exemplifies periods in the life of the citizens of Wildeshausen, beginning with Archbishop Hildebold who gave the status of town to Wildeshausen in 1270 and also donated the place for the original townhouse. Of course, symbols of the all important "Schützengilde" are evident: officer, drummer + gards - a shepherd with a sheep, a woman working on a hide (= tanning) , a farmer as well as a commercial traveller with his horse and wagon . The Glockenspiel invites the citizens again + again to listen to the well known melodies.(To riterate the Gilde - connection).

8. Witsun: "Gildefest" - festival

....days till witsun (Pfingsten). Many Wildeshausen can complete this sentence anytime fla


wlessly. Pfingsten means for Wildeshausen the "Gildefest", a weeklong festival (since 1403) . The "Gilde" has a special connection to the tradition of our town up to this day. The mayor is always the general of the Guild. The town - director is the chef of protocoll (Major). An old expression: "The town of Wildeshausen is the "Schützengilde" and the Schützengilde is the town of Wildeshausen" is well known. A work of art, the granit - sculpture called "cylinder" by A. Boldt represents the Schützengilde in our newly developed inner city. The year 1403 reminds


9Townhall


The historic "Rathaus" (=town-hall) is an interesting "Backstein-Bau "(=brick-building) with an imposing "Treppengiebel (gable partioned into 3 stages) . It gives the marketplace (Marktplatz) an noteworthy appearance.

When in 1270 the Archbishop Hildebold from Bremen gave Wildeshausen the status of a town he presented the property for the building of the town-hall (Rathaus) to Wildeshausen. Wildeshausen belonged for a long time to Bremen. To remember this "gift" an iron pole, carrying the Bremen symbol of keys, stood high above the gable. Today a weather vane stands in its place.

During the time when Wildeshausen had its own jurisdiction the Rathaus was the place to hold the judical proceedings and held also the jail. Still today the upper "Rathaus - Saal" (meeting + ballroom ) is used as official room for the town - counsil. Like always the historic Rathaus plays a big role during the yearly "Gildefest" (= festival of the historic guild, established in 1403) in the springtime the festivities have taken place there for hundreds of years.

  Distillery - museum (Dampfkornbranntweinbrennereimuseum )



The distillery - museum is very original. It would be possible to produce "Schnaps" at a moments notice. The noteworthy high % (Percentage) Schnaps, createted by the family - Brennerei (= distillery) Kolloge, (supposedly) does not cause a hangover.

The whole production process originated during the time of the industrial revolution, when steam - engine -machines began the new industrial age.One single engine  was now used to operate a large number of machines.

The institute for monument - preservation says about this distillery:

Quote: " The whole operation exemplefies a technical and cultural monument. The several stories high distillery ist built into the structure of the building, so that the functional parts create a complete + unchangeable unit.The parts of the unit, especially the steam - engine (I Kolben) with Pendelregulator were activated and built into the unit from the beginning. They represent a closed chapter of technical history".-End of quote-In order to "sniff" a little of the spirit of the 19 th century and to help in the pronounciation of the name of the museum visitors should purchase samples of the "high - spirited", and "hangover-free" drink.The original Dampfkornbranntweinbrennerei -museumsvereinsschluck".

Open May - September on sundays from 3 - 6 PM and by arragement for groop - tou  r

Between 2 bridges (Zwischenbrücken)



Early on the river HUNTE devided Wildeshausen - , in between was a row of houses, named today “Zwischenbrücken”. Once it was individually governed and had its own jurisdiction.

Still today at lent the "Pielepoggen", inhabitants of “Zwischenbrücken”, led by two elected representatives of their community, proceed two by two in traditional clothes + tophat to the “Rathaus”(=town hall).

There, each year, the elected mayor of Zwischenbrücken is newly sworn in after he assures the council of the town Wildeshausen of his loyalty.  To this day the children of Zwischenbrücken have the day off from school.

The “Elektrizitätswerk”


(=electric power station) was saved from destruction by privat intervention. A document from 1913 shows an interesting fact about the Elektrizitätswerk : Quote: “ The E - Werk offers a new years greeting by switching off the electricity for a moment at midnight on New Years Eve. The population knows ”what the bell tolls” and best wishes for the new year are exchanged.

12. Wester + Huntestraße - combined they are Wildeshausen main street. In the middle ages the< were part of the important trade route "Vlamsche straat". In 1995 they were designed inner city streets. Both streets are now mainly a pedestrian zone. The newly established central area is the envy of many surrounding towns. Trees on both sides have re-established the character ofa main street again. Traffic is reduced - it is predminantly pedestrian now.

In the north western path of the "Witttekindstraße" granit - blocks in the 560 meter long "Geschichtsband" gives evidence of Wildeshausens connection to history from pre - earle to present history. Sculptures express special Wildeshauser historic connections:

Along the eastern path a 40 cm wide/12 cm deepmam-made "brook" provides soothing pleasure. Fountains on each end ar very attractive. An erected "Tor - Bauwerk" (=entrance - portal) re - establishes the old town border at the embankment as well as at the "Wittekind-Kreuzung". In the "Huntestraße" meaning full special objects catch every ones attention.

We go through the stylistic gateway at this crossing and follows slowly the "Geschichtsband" (history trail) through town.

  1. 14.Alexander - church - surrounding



Following the "Kirchstraße" we reach the "Herrlichkeit". The "Kirchplatz" of the Alexander - church with beautiful old high Linden-trees. A vast green lawn emphzies the West - tower , built from mighty granit boulders.

Originally the church has 2 towers, which collapsed in 1214 + 1219. The crest of Wildeshausen reminds us today of the 2 towers. Already in 1224 the present mighty tower was erected. The Remter, in folk lore known as the old cloister, an the "Kantorsbogen" join directly on to the church building. The Remter (=Kapitelhaus) was built between 900 + 1000 and is the oldest, still utilized building, in the Oldenburg area. In the middle - ages it held the living quarters (fool+sleeping areas) of the "Kanoniker" (Chorherren) and also the cleray. Led by a prior they lived a monk - like spiritual life. The Alexander -church, including its surroundings, belongs to one of the most beautiful middle - age church grounds in northern Germany.

  1. 15.Alexander - Church
     

The founding of the Alexander - Church goes back to 814. In 807 Waltbert, a grandson of duke Wittekind, brought the relics of the sainted Alexander from Rome by way of the Alpine mountains to Wildeshausen. Alexander died,as well as his mother + 6 brothers as martyrs during the persecution of christians in the first century. They were executed.Waltbert donated a "Chorherrentift" (it`s a sort of monastery, where the cleric lived to the rules of the Benedictines ) named "Alexander - Kapitel".It was to be used as a mission for the surrounding area (called Lerigau,- Largau). Wildeshausen became an important place of pilgrimage, which gave the town an economic upswing. Church + "Stift" owned many valuable treasures. The church and "Kapitel" were richly decorated with pictures. Before the completion in 1270 a long time of construction must have preceded it. During renovation artistic and historic frescos were destroyed.

The Alexander - Church ist the only basilika in the area of Oldenburg. The style dokuments the transition from the late roman to the early gotic style of the 13. century. The Alexander- Church is the greatest work of art in Wildeshausen, well known far beyond the area. Connoisseurs of church - music appreciate the organ concerts on the newly installed (1970) Kleuker - organ.

16. Inside the Alexander - Church


We enter the church through the colossal copper portal of the westhouse, before us a broad glass -  wall.In bright light we see the inside of the church. Immediately we notice the mighty gothic "Triumpfkreuz", a wooden cross (oak, 4.20m x 3.20 m). Under the crucifix is the altar of the 12 apostles, next to it the simple pulpit (both by G. Schreiter.Bremen). Behind the altar stands the gothic "Font" (Taufstein). A glass - window dominates the choir - area. It shows Christ, the four Evangelists and scenes from the maryrdom of the holy Alexander. The late - gothic "Levitengestühl" and the sacramenthouse survived the vandalism of the "Bilderstürmer", especially the pelican on top of the sacrament - house (a symbol of the sacrifice of Christ). The incomplete pedestal bases and the wooden relief of the relic - shrine, which was once decorated with precious stones, remind us of the senceless destruction during those times. The frescos dating from the middleages, are of special interest as far as their cultural - historical value is concerned. In the actual church we find: Mary and Elisabeth, the holy Trinity and St. Catharine (on the wheel), all three approximately 15. century. The "Kapitelsaal" of the former "Chorherrenstift" is now the sacristy, an belongs to the "Remter", also paintings in the sacristy (approximately middle to end of the 13. century). Noticeable is the rider with falcon("Reiterbild mit Jagdfalken") probably part of a larger depiction = legend of the 3 living + the 3 dead. The pictures had a practical reason, because few people were literate, the pictures were the bible of the poor, a catechism for illiterate.

Through the "Nachtigallenweg" we reach the "Düsternstraße" + turn to the right. At the right the pump "Kattenbüddel". A few more meters and we reach to the left, the high embankment.

17. Town embankment


An embankment of high old oaks and beechtrees surrounds the old original town still today. It points out the old fortification with its deep dry moat. During the middle ages these walls played an important part in the defence and protection of the citizens. Originally, during the 9. century, only the part around the Alexander-Church was protected by a wooden wall. In the 13. century a wall around the town was erected. When in 1529 Wildeshausen lost its status as town the wall had to be torn down. The reason : a murder of a cleric. A judgement against the able bodied men of the town caused the downfall of its status.

The mayor Lickenberg was executed by sword on the marketplace. 1544 Wildeshausen was allowed to establish the wall with moat, the water for the moat came from the hunte-river. Still today the wall is recognizable from the air as a green belt around the center of town. The Hunte contributed as a natural protection to both elements of the wall and townwall. Today we can walk all around the town following the wall - townpark and river.

 We come to the "Bahnhofstraße" Here the embankment was opened up 100 years ago - 1898 - to establish a connecting street to the newly established railroad + trainstation. 100 meters to the right we see the building of the "Wildeshauser Zeitung"(newspaper), now a printery museum.

18. Printery (Druckereimuseum)



"Originals ar very appealing", that certainly goes for the Druckereimuseum - Wildeshausen. This museum is not a useless combination of disfunctional parts. The whole printerry could immdiately start up again. Just like in 1987 when the "Wildeshauser Zeitung" was still printed here. All parts are still fully functional.

Here the visitor experiences the developement of the printing process up to the begin of the foto - technic ("Fotosatz") the biggest technical revolution since Gutenberg 1445. The printing presses her are imprssive: the wooden printing, press was used to print "Die Hunte" until 1860 a weekly paper. Later the "Wildeshauser Zeitung" was produced on the original "Heidelberger Zylinder Automat" It was lavingly called the "Löschen - Times".

Some exhibited pieces ar: "Hand - Boston, Aboston-Tiegel, Heidelberger Tiegelautomat, + Knie-Hebel-Presse". The hand operated components are imprssively complete.

There is also an area for book - binding. Visits have to be pre - arranged by calling ahead. Ther is a tour by competent expert guides available by calling (Tel. 04431 - 98910).

19. The Pestruper burial - ground



In the bronze - age, when bronze replaced the hard to produce stonetools, the inhabitants of this area remained here.

They began to en-tomb their dead now in burial - grounds.

The Pestruper burial - ground is the only preserved such structure in Europa. It is situated about 800 meters from the Hunte - river.

500 tombs, different in form + size, are evidence of the settlement that 600 years B.C. buried their urns with the ashes here.

For each individual urn a hill would be erected, created with sods of grass.

During the examination of the "king - tombs"(=Königshügel") traces of the earlier stone age (1900 B.C.) and ritual plow - traces from the bronze - age (1100 - 700 B.C.) were discovered.

The "king - tombs" (Königshügel) consists of burials from different ages (late bronze to pre- roman iron age). The farmers, breeders, hunters + fishermen were contemporaries of "Ötzi" from the iceage. Lets just call them:"Wildi + Geesta" from the "Wildeshauser Geest".

They definitely knew already that Wildeshausen + there abouts were a wonderfull place to live!!

  1. 20.Sheep coven ( Schafkoben) by Wildeshausen



The Wildeshauser Geest consisted previously of many connected heaths(=heather covered lands areas) used for sheep - herding.

The sheep were kept in sheep - covens. These buildings consisted of foundations built with huge field stones, which were ankered deep into the ground. These stones carried the reed - roof - or straw - roof. Dried heather was used as insulation - as well as ground cover inside. The inside was covered with dried heather - and used as fertilizer.

The invention of artificial fertilizers ended the use of the heather ground cover later on.

Sheepherding diminished from then on + the sheep - covens were used for other purposes.

We still find sheep - covens around Wildeshausen - , for instance the sheep - coven at "Pestruper Gräberfeld", is still used to house a herd of sheep today.

The sheep - coven at "Holzhausen" is the clubhouse of the "Heimatverein Düngstrup".

"Archaelogical digs (1934 - 1939) between science an ideology:

To the most exeptional archaelogical monuments in the Wildeshauser Geest belong the large boulders in Kleinenkneten. They were dug up between 1934 and 1939 because an architect from Oldenburg insisted they were not early stonage tombs but "germanic places of worship". The debate between the scientists and the fanatics became quite intense because it happened during the time of the "third Reich" when more and more effort was put into proding the ideological pursit to shaw that so called germanic roots also reached deeply into the prehistoric past" ((Prof. Dr. Dr. Wegner, Niedersächsisches Landesmuseum Hannover)

  1. 23.The large boulders in Kleinenkneten



Tomb I :

Digs during the 1930`s showed that between the long rows of boulders a relatively small burial - chamber existed, the rest was build up soil. After the dig this tomb was reconstructed to rtesemble how it might have looked during the early stone - age. It is possible to enter the chamber through a small path. This entrance was originally closed by a large boulder. Estimations of used granit - approxamately 280 tons granit (or 19 railroad cars) an approxomately 280 tons earth - soil (100 railroad cars).

Tomb II:

This megalith burial tomb contains 3 chambers. This discovery makes it the only one of its kind. Artifacts were clay pots + "Feuerstein "- containers. On the "Trichterbecher - Kultur". They are shown at the museum for nature + pre-historic history in Oldenburg.


24. Bargloyer Steinkiste + Hohe Steine


The "Bargloyer Steinkiste" dates from the end of the early stonage. During that time smaller tombs were usual, they were called "Steinkisten"(=stoneboxes). The form relates to the actual samall burial chambers we find within the elongated tombs located elsewhere. (= see Kleinenkneter Steine).

The Steinkiste in Bargloy documents the slowly developing phase from the storeage to the bronceage. It shows clearly the traditional style of the early stonage: stoneslabs of 2x1,5 dug (inserted) into the ground. Remarkable is the large ston slab with its 25 bowl - like hollows, created by drilling into the ston. These hollows were( supposedly) connected to religious ceremonies + customs. This ston slab seems to have been used as a ceremonial altar during religious rits. During a dig in 1820 a dagger was discavered germ as wekk as a arriwsm a broncepin and a boncerin.

The " Hohen Steine " (high boulders) a tomb similar to those found in the "Ems - area" With an oval enclosure is stikling power-ful and impressive. In this construcktion (22 m x 10 meters) dating to the early stonage., (2500 - 200 before Chr.) evidence of Ironage burials were also discovrd. The farming community. Bargloy is an area used for settlements going back to ancient times , because a brook, calles "Brooksbäke'" was favourable for all year round availability of water. Today the area is a much loved vacation spot right outside Wildeshausen.

 The village Bargloy is a special long established community of farmers connected to Wildeshausen.Horsemen reign in the village. Mighty oaks and beechtrees surround the entran


ce to the village and dominate the vast estates. Picturesque reed covered, old frame - style buildings give the community its own character.The largest (formerly) farm - compound in Bargloy belonged to "Doppelhof (= double - farm) Müller Bargloy". Since a few years ago it has been changed into a living - and business compound. An equestrian hall and numerous stables belong with it.
2. An old reed - covered barn (Nr. 12) was saved from decay + destruction and turned into an attractive vacation - accommodation for visitors to this charming riding - community. This unusual small house stands on a 2000 qm lot, surrounded by age old oaks + beechtrees. The house is very picturesque with its many windows all around, consisting of 350 individual, small panes of glass.

Another interesting (if not reed - covered) building is the "Haflingerhof"(S.+ W. Hüffermann). It has remarkable frame - style buildings - which are imposing looking, even though smaller they look dominating in their setting. The original cellar is constructed with boulders and especially impressive.

11. Between 2 bridges (Zwischen Brücken)


Early on the river HUNTE devided Wildeshausen - , in between was a row of houses, named today “Zwischenbrücken”. Once it was individually governed and had its own jurisdiction.

Still today at lent the "Pielepoggen", inhabitants of “Zwischenbrücken”, led by two elected representatives of their community, proceed two by two in traditional clothes + tophat to the “Rathaus”(=town hall).

There, each year, the elected mayor of Zwischenbrücken is newly sworn in after he assures the council of the town Wildeshausen of his loyalty.  To this day the children of Zwischenbrücken have the day off from school.

The “Elektrizitätswerk”(=electric power station) was saved from destruction by privat intervention. A document from 1913 shows an interesting fact about the Elektrizitätswerk : Quote: “ The E - Werk offers a new years greeting by switching off the electricity for a moment at midnight on New Years Eve. The population knows ”what the bell tolls” and best wishes for the new year are exchanged.

25. DÖTLINGEN - VILLAGE


The Village Dötlingen, first mentioned 1203, is 6 kilometers distance from Wildeshausen. It is a picture - book village - near the river Hunte. From 1900 to 1914 it was an artist colony. Known artists: Müller vom Siel - Otto Pankok - Karl Dehmann - August Kaufhold. There are many reed - covered "Fachwerk" - houses in the style of Niedersachsen, the largest, the "Tabkenhof" is 58 meters long and 17 meters wide. Next to it stands the 1000 year old village oak. The small, but impressive - massive church (field stones), St. Firminus, dates back to 1100. The tower and the small windows are of roman origin. Later changes in the elongation of the church proper includes gothic style elements.

11 early stone age tombs are evidence of early settlers. Like Wildeshausen Dötlingen is a favorite vacation spot in the Wildeshauser Geest
27. Dötlingen - St. Firminus - Church

The church is named for the holy Firminus, bishop of Amiens, who died as a martyr at the stake. The church was first mentioned 1270, when the interior around the altar was enlarged.

 The older part evidencing early roman style dates back to the 11. century. The gothic addition followed around 1250. Churches constructed with boulders have their tower at the westside.

The roof of the tower was covered up to 1949 with "Halbrundpfannen"(shingles formed in semi circle).

 Inside the decorative baroque - altar is strikingly beautiful in strong contrast to the simple powerful construction of the Firminus - Church. The gallery was added around 1613. As an outcome of the reformation many followers of Martin Luther`s teachings avoided services in Wildeshausen and went to Dötlingen instead. Because of that      St. Firminus - Church was not large enough any more.

Dötlingen is first mentioned in 1203 as Thutelinge. Preferred because of its beautiful scenery the village offers the vacationer today an especially welcoming atmosphere. Wellknown are the culinary specialities, for instance Spargel (aparagus). Several local restaurants, situated on ancient homesteads, serve this home grown speciality in the spring. Also special are the game + fish dishes of the area. We mus not forget the famous "Kohlfahrten". These are excursions centered around a local dish called "Kohl + Pinkel-Wurst".Mmmmh - delicious! Dötlingen is especially known as a place where to find this "Oldenburger national dish". Dötlingen has a "romantic flavour" because of its charming landscape that surrounds it with impressive forests, heaths and moors. Especially appealing is the landscape around the Hunte river, combined with pictureque reedcovered houses. Dötlingen was already an artist colony before  world war I and still today art aficionados take great interest in Dötlingen galleries. A high point of interest is the Püttenhaus. Crafts such as pottery, weaving + jewelry are to be found. Because of its appealing flair this little reed covered house is lately the focal point for many wedding ceremonies. The landscape invites to hike, bike and horse back riding. On the river canoes are evident, and fishermen try out their luck at the many fishing - ponds.

29. The Hunte - river



originates on the southside of the "Wiehengebirge", passes throug the mountain range, the "Dümmersee" and meanders + winds through the Oldenburg area, joining the river Weser in the town of Elsfleth.

During the 1930´s many of its twists and turns were straightened. The river lost a lot of its natural beauty because of that; but enough of its charm and beauty has been preserved. Concern for prevention of floods has made people aware of the necessity of curves and twists in rivers as a natural disaster control. More and more the old path of the river is being re-established; and with it its natural beauty. At the same time many animal + plant species are getting a new chance along the river. The setting of the riverbed around Wildeshausen + Dötlingen must be considered one of its most beautiful in our region. Lucky for those who appreciate nature and the anglers (fishermen) the Hunte is still in its original riverbed. It is no surprise that many artists of the Dötlinger artist colony before World War I captured the beauty of the idyllic Hunte in their wellknown work –



  1. 1. Wildeshausen - Bargloy Nr. 12:

     Reet covered little house near town.

Bargloy is


an ancient farming community around Wildeshausen. A quiete rural atmosphere surrounds you; but you live very near the town (1 Km). Here our cozy scenic reed covered cottage Nr. 12         on a 2000 qm lot surrounded by mighty oaks and beechtrees.

Bargloy is an eldorado for horsemen. Horses characterize the village. The forest is right in front of your door.
2. Wildeshausen - town: vacations Ahornstr. 4:

These vacation appartments are near town as well as "near nature". Situated at the "Dulshorn", a gentle hill that reaches the river Hunte. There is also the "Kuhtrade", an idyllic path, leading to a near by natural park. A burial site, the only one of its kind in Europe, the "Pestruper Gräberfeld" as well as to the "Kleinenkneter Steine"(= early stone age burial sites of great proportions).

  1. Do you know about our vacation home on the island "Langeoog" an in "Braunlage/Harz" and Nerja (Malaga) Costa del Sol – Spain?